Despite international and domestic appeals to the government to bring to justice those responsible for the killing of Ahmadiyah followers in Cikeusik, Banten province, the violence remains unresolved one year later.
Human rights activists and Ahmadiyah followers marked Monday, a year after the brutal attack, with questions as to why the government had been so slow in processing the case.
Three members of the minority Muslim sect died in the attack, five were badly injured and gruesome footage of the event was uploaded to YouTube.
“This isn’t over. The state is still responsible to resolve the issue,” said Zainal Abidin, deputy director of the Institute for Policy Research and Advocacy (Elsam).
Aside from the 25 Ahmadis displaced from Cikeusik, hundreds more were forced to flee hometowns for fear of their safety.
Indonesia’s Human Rights Working Group said on Sunday that the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights, Navanethem Pillay, had sent a letter to the government raising concerns over its handling of the attack. Read more