The Truth Message – Part – 3.28:
Qur’an says: Apostasy is Not Punishable In Islam
…Mistakes of Muslims part 3
Freedom of religion is one of the fundamental rights of man provided his religious practice does not harm his society, man should be free to profess his belief and practice his religion, without any hindrance. This is because religion is a matter between man and God. World religions have never compelled their followers to either deny this right to anyone or to compel anyone to follow a different belief. This is only to be expected as religion originates from God and its object is to bring man closer to God.
God has made the choice of religion absolutely clear. Allah clearly states in the Qur’an that:
There should be no compulsion in religion. (Ch.2: v.257)
About Islam Allah says:
And say, It is the truth from your Lord; wherefore let him who will, believe, and let him who will, disbelieve.’ (Ch.18: v.30)
Muslims are clearly told:
…And We have not made thee a keeper over them, nor art thou over them a guardian. (Ch. 6, V.108)
So tell me people, what do you understand by the above?
Where did we see that Allah asked Muslims to kill other sect of Islam or disbelievers in Islam?
Did Allah in the Holy Qur’an or Nabi-e-Kareem (saw) ever asked people to Murder an apostate in Islam?
The Holy Quran has, on no occasion, prescribed death penalty for the apostates. Let us refer to some verses of the Holy Quran in this context:
1. “Those who believe, then disbelieve, then again believe, then disbelieve, and then increase in disbelief, Allah will never forgive them nor will He guide them to the way.” (4:138).
2. “And they -will not cease fighting you until they turn you back from your faith, if they can. And -whoso from among you turns back from his faith and dies while he is a disbeliever, it is they whose work shall be vain in this world and the next. These are the inmates of the fire and therein shall they abide.” (2:218).
3. “Oh Ye who believe! whoso among you turns back from his religion, then let it be known that in his stead Allah will soon bring a people whom He will love and who will love Him; and who will be kind and humble towards believers, hard and firm against disbelievers. They will strive in the cause of Allah and will not fear the reproach of a fault-finder. That is Allah’s grace: He bestows it upon whomsoever He pleases; and Allah is bountiful, All-Knowing.” (5:55).
4. “And he who turns back on his heels, shall not (be able to) harm Allah at all.” (3:145).
5. “And whosoever takes disbelief in exchange for belief, has undoubtedly gone astray from the right path.” (2:109).
6. “Many of the people of the Book wish out of sheer envy from their own selves that, after you have believed, they could turn you again into disbelievers after the truth has become manifest to them. But forgive and turn away from them, till Allah brings about His decree. Surely, Allah has the power to do all that He wills.
7. “And whoso seeks a religion other than Islam, it shall not be accepted from him, and in the life to come he shall be among the losers.” (3:86).
8. “How shall Allah guide a people who disbelieved after their believing and after they had borne witness that the Apostle was true. Of such the reward is that on them shall be the curse of Allah and of angels and of men, all together. They shall abide thereunder. Their punishment shall not be lightened nor shall they be reprieved; except those who repent thereafter and amend. And surely, Allah is most Forgiving, Merciful.” (3:87-90).
So tell me again people, did you find anywhere that killing innocents in the name of Islam, or Allah, or His prophet (saw) was allowed in Islam?
Nowhere in the Holy Quran has it been said that an apostate is to be put to death.
Allah said very clearly: ‘O Ye men, now has the truth come to you from your Lord. So whosoever follows the guidance, follows it for the good of his own soul, and whosoever errs, errs only against it…” (10:109).
These verses show clearly that in the matter of faith everyone is free in the choice of one’s religion. There cannot possibly be any compulsion in preventing people from accepting or renouncing Islam.
Had it been proper to use force in any shape or form in the matter of religion, God Himself would have forced the people to enter Islam and to renounce all other faiths. God says in the Holy Quran:
“And if thy Lord had enforced His Will, surely all men on the earth would have believed together. Wilt thou, then, force men to become believers?” (10:100).
Let’s check some Hadees-e-Nabwi (saw) on the same subject:
Ahadith (sayings of the Holy Prophet) or Sunnat (ways of Prophet Muhammad) we see that… he did not preach even punishing the disbelievers let alone prescribing death penalty for them.
Always remember: There can be no true Hadith in contradiction to the Holy Quran.
The Holy Prophet had said that whenever anyone wanted to quote any saying of his, one should see whether it was in accordance with the Holy Quran. If so, then it would be from him, otherwise not. Thus it is quite clear from the Holy Quran that here is no physical punishment for an apostate in this world.
Faith is the most sensitive spiritual matter that resides in one’s heart… nobody other than the Lord himself can know it.
Click to read the next chapter:
To read the entire book: The Truth Message, click the scroll below:
Message to Mankind from God, the Almighty — Read the Holy Qur’an in your language
Download Islamic Apps for iPhone, iPad, iPod, Android, Windows, etc. for FREE
Know the Promised Messiah of all Religions
Visit the official website of the Ahmadiyya Muslim Community
Watch Muslim Television Ahmadiyya [MTA] International
Connect to Ahmadiyya Muslim Community of Your Location & Language on the World Wide Web