Russia Today: The European Union says the Syrian government was the likely perpetrator of the Damascus chemical attack on August 21, but that it will not be rushed into any military action before an official UN report is released.
“Information from a wide variety of sources confirms the existence of such an attack and seems to indicate strong evidence that the Syrian regime is responsible for this attack,” EU foreign policy chief Catherine Ashton said in a statement following a meeting between European foreign ministers and US Secretary of State John Kerry in the Lithuanian capital Vilnius on Saturday.
“In the face of this cynical use of chemical weapons, the international community cannot remain idle. A clear and strong response is crucial to make clear that such crimes are unacceptable and that there will be no impunity,” Ashton said.
The United States says that Syria’s official forces unleashed a gas attack on a Damascus suburb last month, killing over 1,400 civilians. The White House, which previously designated chemical warfare as a “red line,” is calling for “limited”action against the Assad regime – likely a series of air strikes.