by Muath Freij | Sep 01, 2013 | JORDAN TIMES
AMMAN — Several Syrians in Jordan expressed their support for the likely military action led by Washington against the Syrian regime over alleged chemical weapon attacks.
Syrians interviewed by The Jordan Times said that despite being against any Western intervention in their country, this is the only option to put an end to the two-year-long crisis in Syria.
US President Barack Obama on Saturday said there should be a military strike on Syria in response to an August 21 poison gas attack, which US intelligence officials said killed more than 1,400 people, according to Reuters.
However, Obama signalled a delay in what had appeared to be an imminent strike on Syria, by announcing he would seek approval from Congress, the agency said.
Abu Ghaleb, a Syrian trader in Amman, said he is in favour of a military strike.
“I support the decision if the strike targets military positions, not civilians,” he told The Jordan Times.
Mohammad Diaa, a member of a group coordinating support for the Syrian revolution, said he was awaiting such a move, because peaceful meetings and discussions will not achieve any progress in Syria.
He predicted that the US might also target the Islamist militant groups involved in battles in Syria like the Al Qaeda-affiliated Jabhat Al Nusra.
University student Ahmad Abu Shaar noted that Syrians long for an end to the violence, and have reached a stage where they will accept any solution that can bring stability to their country.
“Syria is already under military strikes launched by its regime, so we hope that this move will end the bloodshed in my country,” the architecture student said.
Daraa-born Ibrahim Nuaimi, a Syrian who lives in the Zaatari Refugee Camp, said he fully backs the decision, because all refugees in the camp want to go back home.
“The majority of refugees in the camp support the decision. I do thank Jordan for its hospitality and the people’s generosity and continuous support, but I miss my country and I want to go back,” added Nuaimi, who runs a café in the camp.
Atef Nanou, another Syrian, claimed that the US was reluctantly taking part in the strike, with the use of chemical weapons “forcing its hand”.
“If they had wanted to oust the Syrian regime, they would have done so long time ago,” he said, charging that Washington was not interested in removing President Bashar Assad because his regime does not threaten its major ally Israel.
“But they [the US] now fear that Islamist militants groups might come to power after the fall of the regime,” he noted.
Zaid Sukkar, who has been in Jordan for more than a year, said the delay of the strike gave the Syrian regime time to prepare its defences.
Some Syrians expressed concern that the military action might have negative consequences on civilians.
Abu Ghaleb said the Syrian regime might lead retaliatory attacks against the Syrian people after Western-led strikes, while Abu Al Shaar acknowledged that countless civilians might be caught in the crossfire.
“Perhaps the strike will claim the lives of a great number of innocent people,” he added.
Nanou said Syrian regime forces had already left their bases, leaving thousands of prisoners behind.
“I am worried that if the US launches its attack, many detainees will die,” he added.
Sukkar also warned that the US decision might lead to further divisions among Syrians.
“Now, some people are saying that we are not loyal to our country because we back a Western solution,” he noted.
But Nuaimi rejected “jumping to conclusions”, warning that the US-led attack might not rout the Assad regime completely.
“If the regime survives the strike, it will be stronger. They will show off saying that they managed to defeat the strongest country on Earth. As a result, our revolution will take years, not months, to succeed.”
SEE THE MUSLIM TIMES’ DISCLAIMER HERE: