By AFP – Jun 15,2017 – JORDAN TIMES
This file photo taken on August 23, 2011 shows Saif Al Islam Qadhafi, son of Libyan leader Muammar Qadhafi, appearing in front of supporters and journalists at his father’s residential complex in the Libyan capital Tripoli (AFP photo)
THE HAGUE — The International Criminal Court (ICC) chief’s prosecutor on Wednesday called for the “immediate arrest and surrender” of Muammar Qadhafi’s son Seif Al Islam, who was reportedly set free by a militia in Libya.
An arrest warrant issued by the Hague-based ICC in 2011 “remains valid and Libya is obliged to immediately arrest and surrender” the late dictator’s son “regardless of any purported amnesty law in Libya”, Fatou Bensouda said.
Qadhafi’s second son and heir-apparent was said to have been released on Friday by a militia that controls the town of Zintan in western Libya.
The group, which had held Seif Al Islam for more than five years, said he had been set free under an amnesty law promulgated by a parliament based in the country’s east during the Muslim holy month of Ramadan.