Human rights groups say country’s state of emergency is being abused by police and officials
The national state of emergency in France declared hours after ten gunmen killed 130 people in Paris has led to thousands of warrantless house searches and hundreds of curfew orders, wreaking havoc on the lives of countless seemingly innocent people across the country.
That is the conclusion from Amnesty International, in a new report which finds that in the three months since the attacks French police have engaged in a crackdown far disproportionate to any terror threats, against targets that are overwhelmingly Muslim.
“People wake up with 20, 30 police officers bursting into their houses, in many cases people are handcuffed, police point firearms against them,” Marco Perolini, who authored the Amnesty report, told TIME on Wednesday. “You cannot imagine the traumatizing impact on people.”
The 12-day state of emergency declared by French President François Hollande hours after the Nov. 13 attacks was quickly extended to Feb. 26, giving police widespread powers to search houses, businesses and places of worship. On Friday, lawmakers begin discussing another three-month extension to late May, which is highly likely to be passed next week.
The state of emergency allows police to obtain search warrants from municipal officials based on little information, rather than having to go to a judge with specific allegations. Nighttime raids can be carried out with few limits, and citizens or neighborhoods can be slapped with travel restrictions preventing them leaving their town. The French parliament is to debate a government proposal to amend the French constitution to allow states of emergency to be declared more easily, and it also wants new powers allowing them automatic investigation of people who travel to areas where “terrorist groups operate.”
Few people questioned these new measures after Nov. 13, especially as officials have warned repeatedly of further terror attacks by the Islamic State of Iraq and Greater Syria, or ISIS. But some are beginning to question them now; Perolini, who gathered testimony from numerous witnesses, says officials are targeting people based on “very flimsy grounds,” and that those under suspicion then find it exceedingly difficult to prove their innocence, in part because the allegations against them are vague.
Issa, a French Muslim salesman from eastern France, told TIME by phone on Wednesday that authorities targeted him late last year as a suspected extremist. Police raided his home in early December, copying the data from his computer, and then imposing restrictions on him that confined him to his small town near the French Alps. They also replaced his permanent identity document with a so-called “replacement” card effectively marking him as a person under suspicion.
He has since lost much of his work and his family is struggling to make ends meet, he says. He believes his troubles began after a friend of his wife, with whom she had had a dispute, denounced him in an anonymous call to a police hotline. “In France these days, you can just accuse someone anonymously on a telephone,” says