ISTANBUL – Doğan News Agency
An explosion occurred on Jan. 12 in Istanbul’s touristic Sultanahmet Square, killing 10 while wounding at least 15, Istanbul governor’s office has said.
According to reports by private broadcaster CNN Türk, the explosion occurred by the obelisk of Theodosius in the touristic Sultanahmet Square in Istanbul’s Fatih district.
According to Istanbul’s governor’s office, 10 people have been killed in the explosion while at least 15 people have been reported wounded.
3:50 p.m. The Greek Ministry of Foreign Affairs has released an official statement on its website, condemning the attack in Istanbul.
“We unequivocally condemn the abhorrent terrorist suicide attack that took place this morning in Istanbul,” the statement said, adding that Greece stands in solidarity with the Turkish people.
3: 40 p.m. Turkish PM Davutoğlu has informed Merkel that most of the victims areGerman and extended his condolences.
Davutoğlu has reportedly told Merkel that an investigation is being carried out delicately and that all necessary information will be shared with German authorities.
3:20 p.m. NATO Secretary-General Jens Stoltenberg has strongly condemned the terrorist attack in Istanbul and extended his condolences to the families of the victims.
“My thoughts are with those injured, with the Turkish people, and with all the other nations affected,” he said.
“There can be no justification for such attacks. All NATO allies stand united in the fight against all forms of terrorism,” Stoltenberg added.
“International terrorism has shown its ugly face,” said Merkel. “We need to act decisively against it.”
Meanwhile, German Foreign Minister Frank-Walter Steinmeier said that German citizens may have died in an attack in Istanbul, and that Germans were almost certainly among the injured.
2: 40 p.m. Italy’s prime minister also expressed support for Turkey after the “agonizing” attack in Sultanahmet Square.
Meanwhile, Italian Foreign Minister Paolo Gentiloni has reportedly called Turkish FM Mevlüt Çavuşoğlu to extend his condolences.
“Italy and Turkey are more determined than ever to combat terrorism,” Gentiloni was quoted as saying in a statement by the Italian Foreign Ministry.
2:20 p.m. Deputy Prime Minister Numan Kurtulmuş holds press conference after security meetings, says suicide bomber was identified as a Syrian born in 1988.
Most of the victims are foreigners, Deputy PM Numan Kurtulmuş has said, adding that two of the 15 hospitalized victims are in critical condition.
He confirmed that it was a suicide attack and that the suspect was of Syrian origin.
Systematic attacks have continued in Turkey since June 5 last year, Kurtulmuş said, asking for more international support and more coordination in the struggle against terrorism.
2:00 p.m. Main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP) leader Kemal Kılıçdaroğlucondemned the attack in a message posted to his official Twitter account.
“Those who aimed at our country with the treacherous attack in Sultanahmet will never reach their goal. I condemn terror and those who get nourished by terror with hatred,” Kılıçdaroğlu said.
Later, addressing a parliamentary group meeting of his party, he said the blast proved that the ruling Justice and Development Party (AKP) is not able to govern the party is getting it into more and more troubles instead.
SOURCE: READ MORE HERE: http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/live-10-killed-at-least-15-wounded-in-explosion-in-istanbuls-sultanahmet.aspx?pageID=238&nID=93736&NewsCatID=341