AMMAN (JT) – A failure of US and international efforts in reviving the Middle East talks will dim the chances for reaching a breakthrough in the peace process, which may start a new Intifada in the Palestinian territories, His Majesty King Abdullah has said in an interview.
In an interview with The Washington Post that was published Thursday, the King said the conservative political atmosphere in Israel has rendered its government incapable of pledging meaningful concessions.
His Majesty predicted gloomy prospects for peace in 2011.
“2011 will be, I think, a very bad year for peace,” he told The Washington Post.
“Although we will continue to try to bring both sides to the table, I am the most pessimistic I have been in 11 years.”
The King pointed out that the tumult that accompanied the “Arab Spring” had provided a rare opportunity for peace, which the two sides failed to seize, noting that Israel will face a growing threat when Palestinians abandon hope of a peaceful path to reach statehood.
“When there’s a status quo, usually what shakes everybody up is some sort of military confrontation, at which point we all come running and screaming to pick up the pieces,” he said.
The Post pointed out that the Monarch has launched a campaign to restart peace talks, “meeting with dozens of leaders throughout the region and laying out a vision for a peaceful Middle East in a book, ‘Our Last Best Chance’, which he penned last year just as the final round of US-brokered peace talks was beginning to falter”.