Source: The Washington Post
By Robert Barnes October 5
The Trump administration told the Supreme Court on Thursday that there is no reason for the court to rule on the legality of the president’s previous ban on travel from certain countries and that lower-court rulings against the president’s position should be erased.
Opponents of the ban, who had persuaded two appeals courts to block the executive order, said the court should continue to review the cases. Even if not, they said, the lower-court rulings should stand.
The justices asked for the new briefing about whether the issue was moot since President Trump announced a replacement travel ban last month. The court canceled an oral argument on the issue scheduled for next week.
The cases raise complicated and far-reaching issues about the president’s powers, and many legal experts believe the court may not want to jump in unless it is necessary. It is unclear when the court will rule on whether to proceed.