A man had seizures after eating hot pot. Turns out he had tapeworms in his brain

brain on pork.jpeg

The tapeworms entered the man’s brain after he ate undercooked pork. 

By Jessie Yeung, CNN

(CNN)A 46-year-old construction worker in China suffering from seizures turned out to have tapeworms in his brain — suspected to be the result of eating undercooked meat.

About a month ago, Zhu (a pseudonym for the patient), from Luzhou, in eastern Zhejiang province, bought pork and mutton to cook in a spicy hot pot broth, according to a report published last week by the First Affiliated Hospital of Zhejiang University.

A few days later, he began to feel dizzy, and suffered headaches during the day, the report said. During the night, while he was sleeping, Zhu would experience seizure-like symptoms, similar to epilepsy.

Zhu’s coworkers found him during such a seizure, and quickly sent him to a nearby hospital, where a CT scan showed “intercranial calcifications” and lesions in his skull. However, Zhu declined any further examinations, not wanting to spend more money, and returned home, according to the report.

Read further

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.