German anti-terror prosecutors are taking over the probe of a deadly shooting outside a synagogue and at a Turkish restaurant at around midday in the eastern city of Halle, a spokesman told AFP.
Following the gun rampage in which at least two people were killed, the spokesman for the federal prosecutor’s office said the step had been taken given “the particular importance of the case” which he said involved “violent acts that affect the domestic security of the Federal Republic of Germany”.
Jewish community leaders said the synagogue in Halle was targetted by the gunman who tried to gain entry but were repelled by security guards. Security has now been increased at synagogues around Germany.
Two people were also seriously wounded in a deadly shooting Wednesday in the east German city of Halle which targeted a synagogue and a Turkish restaurant, a hospital said.
“We have two seriously injured people with gun wounds,” Jens Müller, spokesman for the Halle university clinic, told AFP. “They are in surgery.” Police have confirmed two people also died in the gun rampage.
Around 80 people were believed to have been inside at the time to mark Yom Kippur, one of the holiest days in the Hebrew calendar.