Russia vows no safe passage for Syria extremist fighters in Idlib

By AFP – Sep 30,2018 -JORDAN TIMES

Syrians demonstrating against the government in the rebel-held town of Maaret Al Numan, in the north of Idlib province, on Friday (AFP photo)

UNITED NATIONS, United States — Russia on Friday warned it will not allow extremists in Syria to be sent to Afghanistan or elsewhere under a deal reached with Turkey that averted a large-scale military assault on rebel-held Idlib province.

Under the deal, Turkey agreed to separate opposition fighters from hardline extremists who belong to groups branded as terrorists by the United Nations, but the fate of those extremists remains uncertain.

“There is talk that they will be sent off to other hotspots, for example Afghanistan,” Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov told a news conference at UN headquarters. “This is unacceptable.”

“They have to be eliminated or there has to be a judicial process,” he said.

Russia and Turkey reached the agreement after the United Nations and Western powers warned that an all-out assault on Idlib would lead to a humanitarian catastrophe in the province of 3 million people.

The deal calls for the creation of a buffer zone to be established by October 15 from which all fighters must withdraw to allow for joint Russian-Turkish patrols.

Lavrov met with his counterparts from Iran and Turkey this week on the sidelines of the UN General Assembly to discuss next steps in the agreement on Idlib.

Iran and Russia provide vital military support for Syrian forces while Turkey supports armed groups. The three countries last year set up the Astana group, which has largely eclipsed UN efforts in Syria.

Lavrov said Turkey dose not face “a simple task” in Idlib, noting that the United States had also promised to persuade moderate fighters to split from the militant groups but failed to deliver.

UN diplomats say the agreement between Russia and Turkey to avert an offensive on Idlib has created an opportunity to jumpstart political talks.

On Thursday, seven countries including the United States, France, Saudi Arabia, Jordan and Egypt urged UN envoy Staffan de Mistura to urgently set up a committee on drafting a post-war constitution for Syria.

But Lavrov said preparations for the committee should not be rushed.

“We know that pressure is being applied to Staffan de Mistura,” said Lavrov, adding that “it would be a grave mistake” to force the warring sides to begin work without an agreement.

More than 360,000 people have died in the war in Syria, now in its eighth year, and millions have been uprooted.

SOURCE:

2 replies

  1. And … yes, it was reported several times that the USA gave safe passage to Daesh / ISIS leaders. It is time to stop this nonsense. OK, like the white helmets, let them go to US and no where else, after all they are US babies.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s