By Olamide Oni; who is a Senior Associate at Pulse. She is a creative writer, music lover, and a borderline-obsessed Harry Potter fan. When she isn’t working on her first bestseller (fingers-crossed) she is chasing around her two rambunctious kids. Email: email@example.com
It is important to live your life according to the will of God so knowing what the Holy Book says about various aspect of life is pertinent.
Domestic violence is against the law, but is it also a sin against God? See what the Q’uran says about it below.
1. ‘Husbands should take full care of their wives, with [the bounties] God has given to some more than others and with what they spend out of their own money. Righteous wives are devout and guard what God would have them guard in the husbands’ absence. If you fear high-handedness from your wives, remind them [of the teaching of God], then ignore them when you go to bed, hit them lightly. If they obey you, you have no right to act against them. God is most high and great.’ (4:34)
2. “And among His signs is this: He created for you mates from among yourselves, that ye may dwell in tranquility with them, and He has put love and mercy between your (hearts): Verily in that are signs for those who reflect.” (Sura 30 Ayat 21)
3. The Believers, men and women, are protectors one of another: they enjoin what is just, and forbid what is evil: they observe regular prayers, practice regular charity, and obey Allah and His Messenger. On them will Allah pour His mercy: for Allah is Exalted in power, Wise. (Sura 9 Ayat 71)
4. “The nobler among you in the sight of God is the more righteous among you.” (Quran, 49:13)
5. “O you who believe, it is not lawful for you to take women as heritage against (their) will. Nor should you straiten them by taking part of what you have given them, unless they are guilty of manifest indecency. And treat them kindly. Then if you hate them, it may be that you dislike a thing while Allah has placed abundant good in it.” (Quran, 4:19).
6. “Retain them in kindness or release them in kindness. But do not retain them to their hurt so that you transgress (the limits). If anyone does that he wrongs his own soul. Do not take God’s instructions as a jest“ (Qur’an 2:231).
7. Once the prophet, on whom be peace, was asked what are the obligations of husbands toward their wives. He replied: ‘Feed her when you eat, and provide her clothing when you provide yourself. (When you are in anger) neither hit her on the face nor use impolite language when addressing her.’
8. O mankind! We created you from a single (pair) of a male and a female, and made you into nations and tribes, that ye may know each other (not that ye may despise (each other). Verily the most honored of you in the sight of Allah is (he who is) the most righteous of you. And Allah has full knowledge and is well acquainted (with all things) (Qur’an, 49:13).