Pakistan suggests UN inquiry over Indian killings

Express Tribune: ISLAMABAD: Pakistan on Wednesday denied Indian allegations that its troops killed two Indian soldiers in a second cross-border ceasefire violation in days and called on UN observers to investigate.

India summoned Pakistan’s high commissioner to New Delhi to protest against Tuesday’s killings, in which India’s chief military spokesman said one of the soldiers had been beheaded by Pakistani troops who carried away his head.

Pakistan rejected what it called “baseless and unfounded allegations” but echoed calls of caution from India’s foreign minister by saying both sides need to work hard to maintain a recent rapprochement following peace talks which were revived in 2011.

“Pakistan is prepared to hold investigations through the United Nations Military Observer Group for India and Pakistan on the recent ceasefire violations on the Line of Control,” said the foreign ministry in Islamabad.

A ceasefire has been in place since 2003 along the Line of Control in Kashmir that has divided the countries, but it is periodically violated by both sides.

More: 

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.