By Euronews with AP • Updated: 30/09/2022 – 14:06
Russian President Vladimir Putin chairs a meeting via video link in Sochi, Russia September 27, 2022. – Copyright Credit: Reuters
SHARE THIS ARTICLE
Follow live updates as Russian President Vladimir Putin is due to stage a ceremony in an ornate Kremlin hall to proclaim Russia’s rule over around 15% of Ukraine, the biggest annexation in Europe since World War II.
- Vladimir Putin set to formally annex four Ukrainian regions on Friday.
- It follows ‘referendums’ in Donetsk, Luhansk, Kherson and Zaporizhzhia the West has slammed as “illegal”.
- Volodymyr Zelenskyy hit out at the move and said Putin wanted “war more than life”.
- UN chief Antonio Guterres called it a “dangerous escalation” and a violation of the United Nations charter.
- It comes as Ukrainian forces “partially surround” a strategic city in eastern Ukraine.
- Meanwhile, a Russian rocket attack killed at least 25 in Zaporizhzhia, while another 50 were wounded.