Every human life is precious and sacred, saving one is like saving the whole of humanity. (Al Quran 5:32/33)
Written and collected by Zia H Shah MD, Chief Editor of the Muslim Times
I have been a physician for 35 years and an avid blogger for the last 10 years and have been completely consumed with studying and discussing the Covid 19 pandemic for the last few weeks and here are some of my ideas.
Truth matters. When it comes to laws of nature you cannot fake it. According to the Washington Post, President Trump has 16,000 lies to his credit just in the last three years. He can continue to fool 45% of the US population till date but to the other 55% it is becoming abundantly clear that he cannot escape the human and economic consequences of Covid 19, even if he labels it Chinese virus. Laws of nature prevail whether we acknowledge them or not.
Michael Servetus (1509-1553) was burnt alive on the stake for sticking to a purer understanding of Monotheism and refused to yield to Trinity. He chose to stand for truth rather than yield to the political power of his opposition. His words noted in the above quote are certainly worthy of our attention. I have found this quote to be good advice and aspire to follow it for the rest of my life.
Homeopathy is very unlikely to work against Covid 19. So please do not fool yourself into a false sense of security. Those who may need more detailed information can ask questions in the comment section.
Social distancing is working in Spain, Italy and Germany and there is broad information available in the general media that their curves are flattening and the rate of increase of new cases has decreased there.
Prayers help, as the All Powerful God of Abrahamic faiths can influence each and every quantum of our universe without messing up our understanding of laws of nature; even though I cannot demonstrate it in a double blind study but surely through logical, philosophical and religious proofs.
Wearing masks in public are going to be fundamental in stemming the pandemic even though the US officials are not completely ready to acknowledge this truth at the present time.
Half the cases are asymptomatic and that underscores the importance of masks.
Mild cases do not need any treatment.
FDA has issued emergency authorization of anti-malaria drug for coronavirus care. Older patients and those who are compromised in other ways and have symptoms more than a simple runny nose or sore throat should be given:
Hydroxychloroquine 200mg twice a day for 5 days
Azithromycin 500mg once a day for 5 days
Zinc sulfate 220mg once a day for 5 days
My evidence so far is slim, but here it is: New York Times: Malaria Drug Helps Virus Patients Improve, in Small Study. We should monitor QT interval by doing EKGs in those given hydroxychloroquine.
Testing is not freely available thanks to lack of planning by the Western governments and without tests we have to make our best clinical judgment. I am a Pulmonologist and know for a fact that CXR can miss early and significant disease and if you are serious to pick up lung disease you need a CT of chest.
Gilead Sciences, Inc. medication Remdesivir is expensive and not freely available and multiple trials are running to demonstrate its promise.
The first batch of clinical data could be available in April, as Chinese scientists have been testing remdesivir in two trials in mild-to-moderate and severe COVID-19 patients in Wuhan, which until recently was the epicenter of the outbreak.
Patients who are seriously or critically ill should seek transfer to hospitals where they can receive plasma from patients who have recovered from Covid 19 infection.
If we follow the laws of nature without faking it or make belief we have the greatest likelihood of survival.
The last piece that I have learnt is that mortality is different in different populations. In US it is very likely that 99.5% of the population will survive this ordeal. These are good odds. We can be fearful of the half percent risk or celebrate the 99.5% optimism.