Saint Francis of Assisi (Italian: San Francesco d’Assisi); nicknamed Francesco; 1181/1182 – October 3, 1226) was an Italian Catholic friar and preacher. He founded the men’s Order of Friars Minor and the women’s Order of St. Clare. Francis is one of the most venerated religious figures in the Christian history.
One of the popular prayers by Saint Francis is reproduced below:
- Lord, make me an instrument of Your peace;
- Where there is hatred, let me sow love;
- Where there is injury, pardon;
- Where there is discord, harmony;
- Where there is error, truth;
- Where there is doubt, faith;
- Where there is despair, hope;
- Where there is darkness, light;
- And where there is sadness, joy.
- O Divine Master, Grant that I may not so much seek
- To be consoled as to console;
- To be understood as to understand;
- To be loved as to love.
- For it is in giving that we receive;
- It is in pardoning that we are pardoned;
- And it is in dying that we are born to eternal life.
May the wisdom of God help us to know how to welcome and accept those who think and act differently from us.
— Pope Francis (@Pontifex) December 2, 2017