By Patrick Jackson, Tom Spender, Henri Astier and Roland Hughes
- France chooses Emmanuel Macron as next president, projections say
- Emmanuel Macron, 39, is head of centrist party En Marche
- He defeated Marine Le Pen of the far-right National Front
- The main projections both give him over 65% of the votes
- Turnout is down on previous years – 65.3% had voted by 17:00 local time
- Over 25% of voters are thought to have abstained
“Happy that French voters chose a European future,” European Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker tweets.