Twenty-five years ago, when Transparency International was founded, corruption was seen as the necessary price of doing business and something so deeply ingrained that exposing and fighting it was regarded as futile and even harmful.
We live in a different world now: citizens, media and politicians across all regions actively condemn abuses of power. Such attitude change is partly due to exposure to past scandals and their consequences.
We compiled a list of some of the biggest corruption scandals over the last 25 years that inspired widespread public condemnation, toppled governments and sent people to prison.* These scandals involve politicians across political parties and from the highest reaches of government, staggering amounts of bribes and money laundering of epic proportions.
In the wake of many of these scandals, many governments and international bodies committed to or implemented anti-corruption reforms, counted and, in some cases, recovered losses.
While much progress has been made to improve accountability, raise awareness about how corruption happens and change norms and perceptions, we still have a long way to go to learn from these scandals and fight corruption effectively.
1. Siemens: corruption made in Germany
2. Draining Nigeria of its assets
3. Fujimori’s Peru: death squads, embezzlement and good public relations
4. Kadyrov’s Chechnya: bikers, boxers, bribes
5. Shutting down competition in Tunisia
6. Ukraine’s missing millions
7. Ricardo Martinelli’s spy-game in Panama
8. The 1MDB fund: from Malaysia to Hollywood
9. The Russian Laundromat (with a little help from Moldova)
10. Spain’s largest corruption scandal: Gürtel
11. Venezuela’s currencies of corruption
12. The Panama Papers
13. Maldives: a paradise lost
14. Teodorín Obiang’s #LuxuryLiving in Equatorial Guinea
15. How the Gupta family captured South Africa through bribery
16. Lebanon’s garbage: the stench of corruption
17. FIFA’s football parallel universe
18. Myanmar’s dirty jade business
19. Fighting impunity in Guatemala
20. Turkey’s “gas for gold” scheme
21. The Azerbaijani Laundromat
22. Paradise Papers: where the rich & powerful hide their money
23. Operation Lava Jato: clean cars, dirty money
24. The Troika Laundromat
25. Andrej Babiš’s conflict of interest in Czechia
*Listed in no particular order.
READ DETAILS HERE … https://www.transparency.org/en/news/25-corruption-scandals