Source: The Business Insider
- A new poll of Conservative Party members finds widespread anti-Muslim feeling in the party.
- Four out of ten members would not want a Muslim person as prime minister with a similar number saying there should be limits placed on Muslim people entering the country.
- The poll comes after both candidates for Conservative party leadership committed to holding an inquiry into the problem in the party.
- Boris Johnson, who is the favourite to become party leader and prime minister, has been accused of previously making Islamophobic comments.
LONDON — Four out of ten Conservative Party members want limits placed on the number of Muslim people entering the United Kingdom, according to a new poll which finds widespread Islamophobia in the party.
The YouGov poll of Conservative Party members, for the anti-racist campaign group Hope Not Hate, found that 40% of members wanted limits on the number of people of the Islamic faith entering the country, as opposed to just 5% who want to see fewer Christians or Jewish people.
The poll also found that:
- 43% of Conservative Party members “would prefer to not have the country led by a Muslim.”
- 45% believe that “there are areas in Britain in which non-Muslims are not able to enter.”
- 67% believe that “there are areas in Britain that operate under Sharia law.”
- 39% believe that “Islamist terrorists reflect a widespread hostility to Britain amongst the Muslim community.”
Categories: The Muslim Times