The Muslim convert who attacked four police officers with a hatchet yesterday afternoon was a ‘recluse’ who kept two sharp axes and a hunting knife at home.
Zale Thompson, 32, was shot dead yesterday after charging at the officers in Queens with a hatchet in his hands. He slashed at one policeman’s head, seriously wounding him, and hurt another.
And it has now emerged that Thompson kept even more dangerous weapons at home, converted to radical Islam two years ago, and that even his own family describe him as a ‘recluse’.
Armed and radicalized: Ranting ‘self-proclaimed convert’ New York hatchet attacker was a ‘terrorist’, say police
- Zale Thompson, 32 lunged at police with a hatchet in Queens yesterday
- Online posts have emerged where Thompson advocated ‘guerrilla war’
- Family members interviewed by police admitted Thompson was ‘a recluse’
- Police say he converted two years ago and was a ‘self-radicalized’ fanatic
- An officer was slashed in the head and another one was slashed in the arm before one officer was able to fatally shoot the attacker
- Officer struck in head is in critical condition in Jamaica Hospital
- Police Commissioner William Bratton has branded attack a ‘terrorist’ act
- But said Thompson had no clear ties to international extremist groups
- A 29-year-old female bystander was critically injured after being shot by an errant police round and is listed in ‘grave’ condition