Indonesia: Lombok hit by 6.2-magnitude earthquake
A magnitude 6.2 earthquake rocked Lombok on Thursday – the latest in a series of strong tremors on the tropical tourist island that have killed more than 300 people in the past two weeks.
On Sunday, the 6.9 magnitude earthquake – the second major one in two weeks – hit with such force that an aftershock was felt over in neighbouring Bali.
A second earthquake hit the island just days later, followed by a third this morning, as Lombok was again impacted by huge tremors as aftershocks hit the region.
The result has left a steep death toll which is still rising as aid rolls in.
What is the Lombok earthquake death toll?
As a second and third earthquake and major aftershocks continue to strike the island, the death toll has climbed to 347 according to government news agency Antara.
Another government agency has put the death toll at 381 and is likely to keep climbing as rescue efforts continue.
The number of confirmed deaths from a strong earthquake that hit then island of Lombok on Sunday has risen to 259 and would rise as more victims are found in the rubble, the disaster mitigation agency said.
“The 259 number of deaths are those who have been verified. This number will continue increasing as rescue teams continue to find victims under collapsed buildings,” the agency said in a statement on Thursday.
The death toll was 131 a day earlier.
Indonesia earthquake 2018: Latest death toll pushes past 300
Many have been left homeless as the death tolls rises into the hundreds
Disaster agency spokesman Sutopo Purwo Nugroho said the other government figures had not been double-checked and could include duplicates.
Many people remain trapped under the rubble in the city waiting to be rescued, and today’s earthquake is likely to trap more.
A total of 156,000 people are thought to have been displaced as a result of the earthquake on Sunday.
Buildings that collapsed in the chaos has left many people without their homes, and others were sent panicking into the street.
Shelters have been set up in the wake of the disaster as evacuations set in
“Some buildings were damaged further because of this quake,” a spokesman for Indonesia’s disaster mitigation agency (BNPB), said on Twitter.
Sutopo Purwo Nugroho said: ”Evacuees and people ran out of houses when they felt the strong shake of the 6.2 magnitude quake. People are still traumatised.”
A crisis in the wake of the disaster is also looming as many people are left homeless and infrastructure is cut off by rubble.
According to Officials, about three-quarters of Lombok’s rural north had been without electricity since Sunday, although power had since been restored in most areas.
Some bridges and roads cut off by the natural disaster have meant that aid workers are also unable to make it where they are needed.
Many have also evacuated from the area in fears that yet another earthquake could strike the city.
Authorities made announcements over loudspeakers at evacuation sites after Thursday’s quake, urging people to remain calm and stay inside tents or find open space if they were inside or near buildings.
“Please stay calm, this is just an aftershock and it will be over soon, there’s no need to be scared,” one official announced in a calm voice.
Tourists are chief among those evacuated, as many board flights and ferries in order to escape the chaos.
Popular tourist destination Gili Trawangan has seen hundreds of tourists attempting to flee the island via boat.
Indonesian authorities have confirmed some 5,000 tourists hoping to escape the island have been able to do so.
As searches continue around Lombok, the death toll is expected to rise, and the city will likely be recuperating for months to come.