Drawdown of U.S. troops from Afghanistan continuing – Pentagon

May 15, 2020 – swissinfo.ch

The Pentagon, headquarters of the Department of Defense, in the 1990s. Photo courtesy of Creative Commons/DoD/Master Sgt. Ken Hammond, U.S. Air Force.

WASHINGTON (Reuters) – The United States is continuing its drawdown of troops from Afghanistan and is expected to meet a timeline that had been agreed upon with the Taliban earlier this year, the Pentagon said on Friday.

“That is still going forward. We expect to meet that within the timeline laid out under the agreement with the Taliban,” Pentagon spokesman Jonathan Hoffman said during a press briefing.

Hoffman’s comments came after two brutal attacks in Afghanistan this week, though they are believed to have been carried out by the Islamic State.

(Reporting by Idrees Ali; Editing by Chris Reese)

source:

1 reply

  1. No problem. Just spend a couple of hundred million dollars on the media and you can convince the American public that the US has won another war. (Of course the Afghans will not be fooled, as they see the facts on the ground. same thing in Iraq, Syria, Libya and elsewhere).

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.