Problem Assessment: Years after 9/11, our most recent survey data still indicates persisting concerns among Americans and some Muslim Americans on Islam’s view of important issues such as free speech, human rights, and caliphate. Inconsistent messages from Muslim leadership have created increased risk of extremism and radicalization. To remedy these concerns and risks, the Ahmadiyya Muslim Community USA is initiating a public awareness program dubbed the True Islam campaign. The True Islam campaign educates Americans and Muslim Americans on Islam’s view of eleven major points of contention, listed below, as enunciated by Ahmadiyya Muslim Community of USA a few years ago.
Purpose: To provide all Americans a clear way to distinguish true Islam from extremism and to unify Muslim Americans on the correct understanding of Islam that Prophet Muhammad taught. The True Islam campaign likewise strengthens America’s national security against extremism.
Summary of 11 points:
- True Islam rejects all forms of terrorism
- True Islam believes in non violent Jihad of the self and of the pen
- True Islam believes in the equality, education, and empowerment of women
- True Islam advocates freedom of conscience, religion, and speech
- True Islam advocates for the separation of mosque and state
- True Islam believes in loyalty to your country of residence
- True Islam encompasses the Universal Declaration of Human Rights
- True Islam believes in all verses of the Qur’an and forbids lying
- True Islam recognizes that no religion can monopolize salvation
- True Islam believes in the need for unified Muslim leadership
- True Islam rejects the concept of a bloody Messiah